Smart storage is always a necessity, regardless of the size of your home. Shimau solutions “reflect the Japanese philosophy of an intelligent use of space and a place for everything in the home… providing innovative space management systems that optimize accessibility and square footage.”
Smart Storage from Japan
The term SHIMAU refers to the Japanese traditional practice of storing items to specific spaces for safekeeping. Because Japan is such a densely populated country, homes tend to be much smaller than traditional Western homes. In addition, room layouts are more open, and efficient storage is necessary to keep living spaces tidy.
A leader in the Japan housing market for over 50 years, Panasonic has been a provider of detached housing, as well as entire smart city developments that optimize the management of energy consumption and support smart lifestyles. Based on this experience, Panasonic has actively incorporated ideas derived from Japan’s unique lifestyle to its concept of SHIMAU Smart Storage, an efficient system that doesn’t compromise the quality of living space.
The SHIMAU concept employs three basic principles:
All items should have their own storage space
This is based on the traditional Japanese methods of storage, which included “nando” or “kura”, separate storage rooms or spaces.
Stored items should be easy to view and easy to reach
Cabinet heights often make it difficult to see items on hand and require the use of a step stool for access; SHIMAU Smart Storage solutions make it easy to know and reach what’s on hand.
Living spaces should be clean and tidy
By making use of space that is not usually used, items are stored out of sight in a stylish and compact design.
Digital Human Software
Panasonic has developed proprietary Digital Human software to quantify the physical load involved in the use of cabinetry and other storage systems. The software allows visual analysis by colour to identify the best position in which stored items can be viewed and removed easily. As part of Panasonic’s commitment to quality engineering, all Shimau products are subjected to a minimum 30,000 lifecycle test in engineering testing, to ensure they will provide years of use in your home. To do this we operate the product at least 30,000 times, ensuring it performs as designed, before we build one to send to you.
Removing heavy items can be a burden, especially when they are stored at the back of a cabinet. Innovative solutions like the Panasonic SHIMAU Soft Down Unit for upper cabinets makes items accessible and easy to store for anyone, at any height, with a sample manual soft down mechanism
Key products from the Panasonic Storage and Organization line include:
- Soft Down Cabinet System: Makes effective use of in-cabinet space that is not usually accessible creating access to inconvenient taller spaces throughout the home. With a smooth adjustable motion this organizer can bring up to 16 kg/35 lbs of storage from difficult to reach heights down to more manageable levels. With a light touch, the contents are returned to the cabinet, closet or other storage space, making tall spaces useful, without the need for a ladder or step.
- Revolving Shoe System: this revolving shelf pulls out and rotates 360 degrees for easy viewing and access. Available in two heights, 1800 mm/5.9 ft and 1000 mm/3.28 ft, fits up to 56 pairs or 24 pairs of shoes respectively, and can be customized for heels and boots. Salt and moisture resistant shelves keep shoes clean and dry for storage.
- Pull Down Cabinet System: Maximize the space at the back of your cabinet where “things go to die.” Instead of burying the expired vitamins or the unfortunate wedding gift at the back of the closet, our pull down system brings the back of cabinets to life, with easy access to spices, baking needs or other smaller objects, all at easily reachable heights.
- Clothes Drying System: Imagine if you could eliminate the need to unfold the massive drying rack, avoid clothes hanging from your shower rod, or get rid of that ugly piece of pipe hanging from your ceiling, when you want to hang clothes to dry inside your home. Panasonic’s Shimau Clothes Drying systems provide three smart solutions that offer up to 8 kg/17.6 lbs and 1.8 m/6 feet of drying rod (about 15 damp shirts), while unobtrusively storing away when not in use. These unique solutions provide an eco-friendly solution to an age old problem; how to treat your clothes better, and save on energy. Included in the self-storing lineup are a wall mounted system, a surface mounted system for retrofits on ceilings, and a built-in ceiling mounted unit.
- Revolving Closet System: Optimizes even the smallest space with style to make clothing easy to reach and find. Allows designers, builders and renovators to maximize space efficiency by creating different design opportunities for closet space. Fits closet interior widths of 1680 mm/5.5 ft and 2520 mm/8.26 ft. For comparison, the 2520 mm/8.26 ft unit provides the equivalent of a 4877 mm/16 ft clothing rod.
- Combination Shelf System: This space-saving 3-in-1 under-cabinet mount storage system conveniently holds frequently used items such as spices, and can be easily hidden away when not in use. The top shelf is an ideal spot for storage, while the bottom shelf also offers extra space during cooking for food prep items. The handle serves as a convenient rack for hanging towels or utensils. In a small kitchen, it can provide up to 20 per cent more prep space. This system is available in 600 mm/1.96 ft.
Have you got an instant favourite or must-have?
Panasonic Canada Inc. and Richelieu Hardware announced an exclusive partnership to bring Panasonic engineered, manufactured, and branded storage and organization solutions to the North American market through close to 70,000 cabinet makers, designers and builders.